The Fresno County Democratic Central Committee has not endorsed any candidate in this race.
For Immediate Release
SEN. HERNANDEZ INCREASES GRASSROOTS SUPPORT IN LT. GOV BID
State Senator Dr. Ed Hernandez Collects More Endorsements from Grassroots Activists, Young People and Local Leaders in Statewide Effort
LOS ANGELES COUNTY, CA — Further broadening his coalition of support from throughout California, today State Senator Dr. Ed Hernandez’ campaign for Lieutenant Governor rolled out a wave of new endorsements from grassroots activists, young people and local leaders.
Senator Hernandez’ Lieutenant Governor campaign already has won widespread support from over 50 labor unions, including the California Nurses Association, California Teachers Association, Service Employees International Union (SEIU) California State Council, the State Building and Construction Trades Council, along with over 500 leaders and organizations, combined. Those backing his campaign today include the following:
- David Atkins, California Democratic Party Region 10 Director
- Sergio Carrillo, California Democratic Party Region 16 Director
- Dr. Humberto Gomez, California Democratic Party Region 8 Director
- Kevin Liao, California Young Democrats Asian Pacific Islander Caucus Chair
- Keshav Kumar, California Young Democrats Labor Caucus Chair
- Stephen Shepherd, California Young Democrats Technology Caucus Chair
- Joshua Baum, California Young Democrats Jewish Caucus Chair
- Becky Curry, California Democratic Party Rural Caucus Secretary
- Spencer Dayton, California Democratic Party Rural Caucus Chair
- Bob Service, Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee Member
- Bill James, Santa Clara County Democratic Central Committee
- Magdalena Carrasco, San Jose City Council Member
- Richard Angel, South El Monte City Council Member
- Dr Joseph Chang, Hacienda La Puente Unified School District Board Member
- Gregory S. Pettis, Cathedral City Mayor Pro Tem
- Jeff Lee, Grover Beach City Council
- Wesley Chesbro, former State Assembly Member and State Senator
- Aref Aziz, Northern Chair, CDP Asian Pacific Islander Caucus*
- Ryan Trabuco, San Diego Young Democrats for Equality Chair
- Jessica Perez, West Los Angeles Young Democrats Vice President
- Zachary Awe, Humboldt County Democrats Parliamentarian
In addition to this latest round of endorsements, Senator Hernandez outpaced the rest of the crowded field of Lt. Governor candidates at this past weekend’s California Young Democrats endorsement meeting, where he garnered support from the California Young Democrats’ Labor Caucus, API Caucus, Jewish Caucus and Technology Caucuses, as well as the Black Sacramento Young Democrats. Senator Hernandez bested all other Lt. Governor candidates, winning close to 10% more than his nearest competitor in the statewide vote.
Upon rolling out the new collection of endorsements, Senator Hernandez released the following statement:
“It’s an honor to have such wide-ranging support in my campaign for Lieutenant Governor. As I crisscross the state and meet with grassroots activists, young people, neighborhood and local leaders in all corners of the state, it’s incredibly encouraging to see and hear from everyday folks and community leaders that our message of continuing California’s bold progress on job creation, healthcare access, environmental protection, equal rights, immigrant rights, civil rights, and more, is clearly resonating. I’m grateful for their support.”
Just last Friday Senator Hernandez earned a high-profile endorsement from Los Angeles City Council President and former California State Assembly Speaker Herb Wesson.
Significantly, just weeks ago, California Governor Jerry Brown signed Senator Dr. Ed Hernandez’ groundbreaking drug transparency bill, SB-17, into law. Senator Hernandez’ latest digital video ad, titled, “Life or Death,” features a moving testimonial from Kendall Renee, who is allergic to more than 95% of foods and carries at least four EpiPens with her at all times. Renee highlights Senator Hernandez’ efforts to combat skyrocketing drug costs in the ad.
To view Hernandez’ “Life or Death” spot, click on the screen shot below:
Unshaken by big moneyed special interests, Hernandez not only has taken on Big Pharma but also fought Big Tobacco, as the architect of California’s landmark law to raise the state’s smoking age to 21.
In addition to today’s news, Senator Hernandez has raised over $2 million for the statewide effort and has locked in far-reaching support across California.
To view Senator Hernandez’ “Record of Progress,” digital video ad, click here or on the screen shot below.
Several months back, Senator Hernandez released his first digital video, titled “A California Story,” which can be viewed by clicking on the screen image below:
Beyond today’s announcement, Senator Dr. Hernandez’ campaign has released an expansive list of over 400 endorsements from grassroots activists, community leaders, federal, state and local elected officials, public safety groups and close to 50 labor unions.
A husband, father, grandfather, practicing optometrist, and local businessman, “Dr. Ed” (as he is known to his patients) has spent his life bringing quality eye care to predominantly low-income communities. As a health care provider, the need to improve access to health care for all Californians is what first drove him to run for office.
Since being elected to the Assembly in 2006 and the Senate in 2010, Dr. Ed Hernandez has been a leader on the implementation of federal health care reform – helping expand access to affordable health care, control costs, and improve the network of providers so people can actually get quality care when they need it. Dr. Ed has been a champion by expanding educational opportunity to qualified students overlooked by our public schools and universities, as well as a major proponent for government reform, including fixing a broken initiative system too often hijacked by billionaires and wealthy corporations. Dr. Ed Hernandez is running to take this experience, leadership, and vision to the next level by serving the people of California as their Lieutenant Governor.
For more information, please visit www.edhernandez4ca.com.
*Titles for Identification Purposes Only.