While one can hope that the policies and actions of the Trump administration will not cause grave harm to our country and the world, his continuing tweets and appointments do not support such hope. Indeed, the next four years look to be an unmitigated disaster. Time will tell.
Meanwhile, those who believe in civil liberties, climate change, diversity, reproductive freedom, LGBTQ rights, immigrant rights, and basic fairness need to support experienced organizations that are set to effectively fight for these issues in the courts, Congress, and state capitols and can mobilize people into action via social media and the like. There are literally hundreds of these organizations each at the national, state, and local level.
I have put together my own list of 12 organizations at the national or regional level that warrant your consideration to support with monetary donations. Most are engaged in political action and donations to their listed websites are not tax-deductible donations. However, if this is an important consideration, they typically have an associated Foundation, which will still benefit from your donation. Each website provides information about the organization and a link for online donating.
If you can donate at a higher amount by doing so in monthly installments, this is preferred as it provides a more stable funding base. Note: donating to any of these groups does not mean you should not donate to others. This list came about as I have received literally hundreds of requests for financial support, and I wanted to come up with what I thought would be most effective for the money donated. The list could easily have been 25 or more organizations, but I concluded that would be too long.
I hope you find this information of use. In the words of Thomas Jefferson, “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”
Howard K. Watkins
1785 W. Dovewood Lane
Fresno, CA 93711
TWELVE NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS TO CONSIDER
FOR DONATIONS IN RESPONSE TO PRESIDENT-ELECT
DONALD TRUMP’S POLICIES & APPOINTMENTS
- American Civil Liberties Union aclu.org
- Campaign for Southern Equality southernequality.org
- Democratic Party democrats.org
- MoveOn.org www.moveon.org
- Muslim Advocates muslimadvocates.org
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People naacp.org
- National Hispanic Leadership Agenda nationalhispanicleadership.org
- Our Revolution www.ourrevolution.org
- People for the American Way org
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund ppaction.org
- Sierra Club sierraclub.org/
- Southern Poverty Law Center splcenter.org